Disclosure: No authors have a financial interest in any of the products, devices, or drugs mentioned in this production or publication.
There are various causes of common peroneal nerve palsy, however common peroneal nerve palsy caused by a ganglion cyst is uncommon. A benign tumor within the nerve sheath can cause compression and present with symptoms of neuropathy depending on the level of injury. In this specific case, the patient presented with a ganglion cyst in the common peroneal nerve at the fibular head. Typically, a ganglion cyst presents with a sudden onset of severe pain that is associated with a motor palsy. Magnetic resonance imaging revealed a cystic-appearing mass anterior to the fibular head, which was confirmed with a palpable mass. This resulted in compression neuropathy of the peroneal nerve. The surgical intervention included removal of the ganglion cyst and the decompression of the common peroneal nerve at the fibular head.
An oblique incision inferior to the fibular head and orientated from posterior-proximal to anterior-distal following the course of the common peroneal nerve.
- Gillenwater J, Cheng J, Mackinnon SE. Evaluation of the scratch collapse test in peroneal nerve compression. Hand (NY). 2015 Jun;10(2):161-7. PMID: 21681130.
- Yazid Bajuri M, Tan BC, Das S, Hassan S, Subanesh S. Compression neuropathy of the common peroneal nerve secondary to a ganglion cyst. Clin Ter. 2011;162(6):549-52. PMID: 22262327.
- Spinner RJ, Hébert-Blouin MN, Amrami KK, Rock MG. Peroneal and tibial intraneural ganglion cysts in the knee region: a technical note. Neurosurgery. 2010 Sep;67(3 Suppl Operative):ons71-8; discussion ons78. PMID: 20679946.
- Young NP, Sorenson EJ, Spinner RJ, Daube JR. Clinical and electrodiagnostic correlates of peroneal intraneural ganglia. Neurology. 2009 Feb 3;72(5):447-52. PMID: 19188576.
- Humphreys DB, Novak CB, Mackinnon SE. Patient outcome after common peroneal nerve decompression. J Neurosurg. 2007 Aug;107(2):314-8. PMID: 17695385.
- Rawal A, Ratnam KR, Yin Q, Sinopidis C, Frostick SP. Compression neuropathy of common peroneal nerve caused by an extraneural ganglion: a report of two cases.Microsurgery. 2004;24(1):63-6. PMID: 14748028.